®Wizards of the Coast
The World Boardgaming Championships
at the Lancaster Host in Lancaster, PA
What is RoboRally?
World Boardgaming Championships
This years convention will be held the second weekend of August at the Lancaster Host, in Lancaster, PA.
The Boardgame Players Association
The WBC is run by the Boardgame Players Association (BPA). The BPA was created for the purpose of running the WBC and it's members are the boardgamers themselves. If you're interested in attending check it out and join up, members get to vote on pretty much everything to do with the convention, and most memberships come with free admission(s) to the WBC.
Robo Rally Tournament Format
Two-3hr 3 flag heats and one deathmatch heat leading up to the semi-final.
All winners in the first round heats will advance to the semi-finals. We are reducing the number of players per board in the preliminary rounds to approximately 6. Since this is likely to increase the number of winners, we will have, if necessary, a semi-final.
In all heats and rounds, players will be assigned to boards randomly
Each table will be provided with a timer to limit programming time to two minutes. If any player requests it the first two programming turns can be three minutes long.
The final game will strictly follow the two-minute turn rule.
1) Expansions - Only the basic set will be used in the preliminary heats and Semi-final. All rounds may use boards from the new Avalon Hill basic set or the original. Finals may use additional boards from expansions at the GMs discretion
2) Board Selection and flag placement
3) Time limits - Programming phases will have a time limit of 2 minutes. Each table will be supplied with a two minute timer to enforce this. (Note that the first two turns can be three minutes if any player so requests.)
4) Arbitration - The heats are scheduled for three hours and any game that can't be finished in that time will be adjudicated. Most games will finish in under 3 hours. The following criteria will be used to determine placing in normal games requiring adjudication, (A first round game is considered to be over after the first player has touched the final flag)
*This is the number of cards it would take to reach the flag given the best possible hand - locked registers will be taken into account. GM's decision is final (If GM is involved then assistant GMs' decision is final.)
The following criteria will be used to determine placing in death-match games
*The GM (or assistants if the GM is involved in the tie) will determine based on position which robot has better position to damage/destroy the other robot in the following turns (including the positions of other living robots). If there is no clear advantage, the outcome will be determined by a die roll.
5) Option special rules - Use of the retractable arm to touch a checkpoint will result in a robots archive being updated.
6) Advancing to the finals - Everyone that wins a game in one of the three heats will advance to the semi-final round. Only winners will advance.
7) Late Arrivals - Any player who arrives after any heat or round has started will not be allowed to play in that heat or round.
8) Conduct - Players will be expected to conduct themselves in a manner that promotes good game play. Any player not doing so will be disqualified.
9) A.R.E.A. - All games will be A.R.E.A. rated. No exceptions.
The GM for this tournament is going to be Marc Houde the humble creator of this webpage. I will be assisted by Michael Mahady, a good friend, and Brad Johnson, who has won this tournament numerous times, and will appoint other assistants at game time. When either of those two are not there.
The following FAQ's will be used as guidelines for resolving rules disputes.
RoboRally FAQ This is a compilation of the RoboRally Basic FAQ and the Armed and Dangerous FAQ that used to be on Wizards of the Coasts website.
This site is maintained by Marc F. Houde and has no affiliation with nor approval from Wizards of the Coast or it's parent company, Hasbro. Wizards of the Coast, RoboRally and Hasbro are trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Last Update:June 23, 2004